Table of Contents
Learn effective methods on how to wash your heavily stained mattresses. These are tips from our professional carpet cleaning service company.
One spill of blood or urine, that’s all it takes to ruin the reputation of your mattress. That’s a frustrating problem for most homeowners, as it’s challenging to remove these stains. Well, you could hire a cleaning service to do this for you, but the cleaning service prices might intimidate you. However, if you want to save your mattress yourself, and without spending a lot on it, there are some tips on how to do it, and we’re sharing it here.
Remember the basics of mattress cleaning
Whether it’s an organic stain or a spill of ink on your mattress, here are the general steps on how to wash them. Most of these steps are also done by mattress cleaning services, so you don’t need to worry about damaging your mattress at all.
Blot it right away
While the stain is still fresh, blot it with a paper towel or a clean white cloth. This helps absorb most of the stains on the fabric, avoiding them to penetrate through. We recommend using white cloth so that you can visibly see if the stain has been absorbed or not.
Apply a mist of cleaner on the stained area
If you weren’t able to buy a commercial stain remover, you can make one at home. In a spray bottle, mix your warm water, white vinegar, and dishwashing soap solution. After preparing the solution, spray that on the stained portion of your mattress.
Soak your mattress
After doing these initial steps, you need to soak your mattress to pre-clean them. This is done in 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how soiled it is. After that, proceed to wash and dry them.
Removing Blood Stains on your Mattress
A spill of blood on your mattress is all it takes to ruin its condition. This is one of the most challenging stains to remove from your mattress. But there’s a way to remove this, we’ll show you how.
- Prepare a cornstarch cleaner. You’ll need cornstarch, hydrogen peroxide, table salt, and warm water. Mix one part of each of them in a bowl. Mix until you achieve a paste-like texture.
- Apply small amounts of this paste to the stained area until you cover them all.
- Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. After that, use a spoon to scoop it out.
- Then proceed to washing your mattress.
Removing urine stains on mattresses
Those tiny paws at home can be mischievous at times. They can pee on your sofa or mattress, and it’ll leave a nasty smell and stain on the fabric. If this happens, don’t be scared since you can still remove them. Here are some steps to cleaning a stained mattress:
- You can buy a commercial stain remover or make one at home. For your DIY urine stain remover, you’ll need hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dishwashing liquid soap. Mix them all in a bowl and transfer them to a spray bottle.
- Apply a mist of this to the stained area. Your cleaner helps breakdown urine into its components, making it easier for you to wash and remove them from the fabric.
- Apply baking soda to the stained portion and let it sit for 10 minutes. Afterward, vacuum it.
- You can pre-treat your mattress before washing them.
This is the general process of cleaning urine-stained mattresses. Our professionals at Shiny Carpet Cleaning can help you handle this problem if you don’t have the time to do it. We have the right training and tools to effectively remove urine and pet stains on your sofa and mattresses. If you do have a pet, removing stains is probably a part of your house cleaning checklist.
Removing stains from coffee or tea spills
There are times when we mess up with our mattresses, right? Spilling up our coffee or tea can happen, and we don’t like that. If this happens, don’t fret since you can still remove them. Here are the steps for cleaning a stained mattress:
- Blot the stained area with a paper towel or white cloth.
- Make a DIY stain remover using detergent, vinegar, and water. Place them in a spray bottle and shake them well.
- Spray that on the stained area and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. After, lightly brush it off with a soft-bristled brush.
- Apply a small amount of baking soda powder, and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. After, vacuum it.
Removing sweat stains on your mattress
Sweat is one of the common things to stain mattresses. You’d notice that pungent smell and light brown stains on your mattress when that happens. Let’s help you with that! Below are steps on cleaning sweat-stained mattresses:
- Initially, sprinkle baking soda powder on your mattress. Rub it over the fabric for 10 minutes, and then vacuum it after.
- If this doesn’t work, you’ll need a better stain remover like hydrogen peroxide and dishwashing soap. Mix one part of each in a spray bottle.
- Spray that on the area with sweat stains.
- Blot it with a paper towel.
- Repeat the process until the stain and smell are gone.
Removing nasty smell on your mattress
Stain removal doesn’t guarantee that the nasty odor is also removed, right? If there’s that disturbing odor left on your mattress still, here are some ways for you to remove them.
- Sprinkle baking soda on your stained mattress. Gently rub the powder into your mattress. Let it sit for 15 minutes to absorb the smell.
- Alternatively, you can use cornstarch for this matter.
- After that, vacuum your mattress to remove the powder.
Last course of action, Steam Cleaning a Stained Mattress
Steam cleaning is your last solution if all those DIY methods don’t work. At Shiny Carpet Cleaning, we offer effective and affordable steam cleaning services. This is one of our expertise, and we’ve been doing it for years.
Steam cleaning is effective in penetrating any fabric, so it can easily remove stains and smells without damaging your mattress. We have a portable steam cleaner that we use in providing this service to the locals. You can hire us to handle your mattress cleaning requirements.
Our stained mattress cleaning service is proven to be safe for your fabric, pets, and children. In all our cleaning services, we maintain the highest standards in the industry. We follow the safety protocol for our employees and customers. With our 16 years of experience, your mattresses are in good hands.
Should you have any questions about our cleaning services, feel free to reach out. Get a free estimate -online, or call us at 703-995-5099.
For free consultation about tile and grout cleaning services, call us or simply check out our Youtube page and see more videos about our services.