Table of Contents
Besides your sofa, your floor absorbs a lot of dirt and dust. They take daily beating every day, and it can ruin their condition eventually. That said, you need to know the essentials of floor cleaning. Fortunately, we’re sharing some ideas here that you can apply in your home.
We understand that you dread cleaning your floors. It becomes more challenging when you have different floor materials at home. Different materials require specific cleaning attention. To help you with that, we’ve compiled the best floor cleaning tips in this article.
Hardwood floor cleaning tips
Hardwood is one of the most expensive flooring materials you can have, so care and maintenance are needed to make them last longer. Below are tips for caring for hardwood floors:
- You can sweep, mop, or vacuum them every week.
- Apply wax on your hardwood floor every five to six months. This helps seal off pours on the wood, making them more resistant to stains and moisture.
- Wipe off spills right away
- You can use furniture pads to avoid leaving dents and scratches on your hardwood floors.
- Buffing your hardwood floor using a floor cleaning machine. You can start from one corner and move horizontally to the other end. Buffing helps make your floor shine and the wax adheres more to the wood.
Tile Floor Cleaning Tips
Tiles are easier to clean than wooden floors. The things you’ll need for tile floor cleaning are the following:
- Vacuum, broom, mop
- Tile cleaning products
Here are some tips for cleaning your tile floors:
- Sweep or mop your floor tiles daily
- Vacuuming can be done once a week
- Avoid using strong cleaning reagents on your tiles since that can discolor them. A strong bleach solution is not recommended. You can look for commercial tile floor cleaning products online. There are plenty of them online like Swiffer WetJet, Better Life Natural Floor Cleaner, and more.
If you need more advice, you can ask us. We are experts in floor cleaning service. For more than a decade, we’ve been serving Maryland, Northern Virginia, and Washington DC with their floor cleaning needs.
Carpets are excellent in adding beauty and a luxurious appeal to your floors. But carpets require higher care since the fabrics are exposed to daily beating with moisture, stains, and spills. The material of your carpet also dictates how you must care for them.
Below are some tips for cleaning your carpeted floors:
- Remove all dust and dirt on the top layer by vacuuming it.
- Spot treatment for all stains.
- Steam clean those stubborn stains
- Move your furniture and place furniture pads to avoid scratching or denting your carpets
- Use approved cleaning products for carpets
- Look at the code placed on the washing label of your carpets
Laminate Floor Cleaning Tips
If you have laminate flooring, then it’s easy to clean them. All you need is a mop, dishwashing soap, and warm water. Below are the steps on how to clean them:
- Mix your dishwashing soap in warm water. Place them inside a spray bottle.
- Apply a mist on your laminate floor and then mop it.
- Repeat this process.
- The recommended time to clean laminate floors is thrice a week.
- If there are spills, blot or wipe them off immediately to avoid accidents and stains.
Vinyl Floor Cleaning Tips
Vinyl can handle acidic cleaning solutions. It’s also easy to clean them like your laminates. Mopping them with a solution made from white vinegar and warm water is enough.
You can also use a dishwashing soap solution for cleaning vinyl. This is suitable for light cleaning. If there are hard stains, you can use an acidic solution like apple cider or vinegar to remove them.
Ceramic Tile Floor Cleaning Tips
Ceramic tiles are one of the affordable materials you can have for your kitchen floors. They are also easy to maintain and care for. Here are some tips on how to clean them.
- Vacuum to remove those first layers of dust
- Use a PVC card for removing stains sticking to your ceramic tiles
- Create a floor cleaning solution made of white vinegar, dishwashing soap, and warm water. Mix these things in a bucket and use that for mopping your ceramic tile floors.
- You can have another bucket with warm water for rinsing and removing soapy residues on your flooring.
- You can also buy a commercial tile and grout cleaner to restore the cleanliness of your tile flooring.
Linoleum Floor Cleaning Tips
Linoleum is one of the economical materials for your kitchen floors. They are also easy to clean like your ceramic tiles and laminate flooring. Here are some tips for cleaning them:
- Vacuum it first
- Add baking soda over your linoleum floors
- Make a solution of warm water, white vinegar, and dishwashing soap. Use this for cleaning your linoleum floors.
- To rinse and remove soap residues, have another bucket filled with warm water. Dip your mop there and rinse your floor to remove those soapy residues.
How often should I clean my floors?
Your floors take a daily beating from different things like your pets and children. The more you have them, the more frequent you need to clean your floors. Typically, you need to clean your floors once a week. If your space has high foot traffic, then cleaning them thrice a week is ideal.
Need help with floor cleaning?
Even if you dread cleaning your floors, still, you need to do them to preserve the integrity of your home. If you don’t have the time to do it, you can hire a professional cleaner like Shiny Carpet Cleaning. We offer residential and commercial floor cleaning services in the DMV area.
We use proper home floor cleaning machines for our job. This makes us efficient in our work. Also, we apply suitable floor cleaning products for different flooring materials.
For your free estimates and inquiries, you can call us at 703-719-8836. You can book an appointment online here.