Table of Contents
Your home’s design can be affected by your flooring. Hardwood and laminate floors can enhance the appearance of your living space through their elegance and beauty. But, they can also be a source of discomfort when not taken care of. Cleaning your floor can be challenging especially when you want to restore them to its original appearance which is without any streaks.
Through this article, we will help you with some wood floor cleaning tips to restore the brilliance and elegance of your wood floors without your knee pads and scrub brushes. Continue reading to learn more.
Tip 1: Prevent being Damage
Prevention is better than cure as the saying goes. In terms of making sure that your hardwood floor looks as flawless as possible, you must prevent accumulated dust and dirt before it can go deeper and ruin your floor. Here are some simple steps:
- Use doormats at all entry doors, this will help collect the dirt from the outside
- When walking on your floor, avoid wearing footwear with sharp spikes
- When transferring heavy objects or furniture, don’t drag them across your floor or you can use a felt protector pad on the bottom of your furniture to lower the risk of scratches
- Put padding or cushion at the feet of your furniture legs. This prevents deep dents on your hardwood floor and carpets.
Tip 2: Attend to spills right away
Blotting spills on your hardwood floor is one of the best cleaning tips for wood floors. This prevents water damage and makes your floor look dull as the liquid dries out on the floor.
If you let any liquid stay on your wooden floor, it can cause a warp and weaken its structure. That said, you need to prepare some dry rags or paper towels for wiping any spills.
Tip 3: Re-shine your wooden floor
Looking at a shiny floor is great, right? It makes your place more luxurious and updated. There are many wood floor shining products you can find online or in physical stores. Typically, these are products containing wax and oils that help restore the luster of wooden floors. It also enhances water resistance keeping water damage away.
Tip 4: Dust off your floor daily
Dust is the common enemy of wooden floors. It makes your floor look old and dirty. When you let piles of dust accumulate on your floor, it will destroy your flooring over time. Besides, it will be detrimental to your health and the health of your loved ones.
It will cause the following health consequences:
- Watery eyes
- Throat irritation
You can use a soft broom or vacuum for removing dust from your floor. You can find this idea from any cleaning wood floor tips online. Schedule a time when you can do this so that it becomes a habit.
Tip 5: Removing streaks and accumulated cleaners on the floor
Have you seen your floor being cloudy? This can lead to a streaky floor, and you don’t want that, right? For the best wood flooring cleaning tips, removing this extra cleaner buildup is necessary. To get rid of that, you can do the following:
- Prepare an ammonia solution by mixing one cup of ammonia with one gallon of water. Apply small amounts of this solution on your floor and wipe it off with a mop or microfiber. This dissolves the extra cleaner sticking on your floor while removing the cloudiness as well.
- Sanding is your last resort if the first option doesn’t work. You’d have to use sandpaper with a high grit number so that it doesn’t scratch your wooden floor.
How to clean your wooden and laminate floors?
What do you need?
Prepare your microfiber mop and cleaning solution.
- Dampen your mop with the cleaner, or spray your floor with the cleaner.
- Mop the floor in one direction. You can also soak your mop in warm water to easily remove dirt and stains on the floor.
- Prepare another mop (dry and clean) that you can use to dry off your floor.
How to prepare DIY wood floor cleaner?
Instead of buying those expensive wood floor solutions, you can make one at home. Here are the steps you need to do:
- Create the solution using white vinegar, liquid soap, and warm water. Mix all these components in a spray bottle.
- Use a microfiber mop for mopping your floor. Spray small amounts of your DIY cleaner on the floor, and then mop in one direction.
- Never use abrasive cleaners for cleaning the floors.
- Dry your floor using another clean rug or mop.
How to use a microfiber mop in cleaning wooden floors?
- Prepare all your materials for cleaning.
- Grab your microfiber mop and dampen it with a cleaning solution. Alternatively, you can spray the floor with wood cleaner and then mop it.
- After mopping your floor, dry it off with a clean dry mop.
Tips Cleaning Bamboo Floors
Use a dish soap solution with neutral pH and add warm water to it. Place that inside a spray bottle and spray substantial amounts on your bamboo floor. Then, mop it with microfiber to spread it across the area. Once done, let it air dry for an hour or two.
Wood floor cleaning is an unavoidable dilemma among homeowners. Hardwood floors are great to have for your home, yet it needs proper care and maintenance. You need to keep them away from dust, spills, pet waste, and scratches. We understand how challenging it is to maintain your wooden floors.
In case you want to have a stress-free means of keeping the beauty of your wooden floors, hiring a professional is your best option. Shiny Carpet Cleaning is here to help you. We hope you had a great time learning the tips on cleaning wood floors.
So, are you interested in requesting a free estimate for your wood floor cleaning needs? Call us at 703-719-8837, or contact us online.